Monday, Jun 26th

Last update05:44:07 AM

You are here: Home WEEKEND SPORT Other Sport News

Los Angeles plans $4.1b budget for 2024 Olympics

Officials for the Los Angeles 2024 Olympic Games bid have revealed financial details in a 218-page proposal made public on Tuesday, which outlines a cost of $4.1 billion to be spent on staging the Games.

The proposal also contains projections for revenue, with an estimated $4.8 billion from ticket sales, broadcast rights and corporate sponsorships generating a $161m surplus.

Los Angeles, which hosted the Olympics in 1932 and 1984, is seen as the favourite U.S. city to be put forward by the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to host the 2024 Games after Boston pulled out of the running.

”In Los Angeles, the spotlight is always on. We have the resources, experience and secure environment to share the biggest events with the world,” the proposal states.

Read more: Los Angeles plans $4.1b budget for 2024 Olympics

My children will excess at EPL, says Abedi Pele

Ghana legend Abedi Pele admits he is a proud man after his two sons Jordan and Andre Ayew made their Premier League debuts earlier this month, and has backed them both to succeed in the English top-flight. 

The three-time African player of the year watched Jordan Ayew make his Premier League bow for Aston Villa against Bournemouth before Andre Ayew scored for Swansea against Chelsea later on in the day. 

“I had friends from all over the Continent calling so it was a big thing. It makes me feel very proud but at the same time you become tense hours before the games, you keep on praying that they don’t get injured, that they are outstanding and score. 

Abedi has had a big hand in the careers of the pair and played a major role in their moves from France - where they were born and had spent their entire professional careers until now. 

Read more: My children will excess at EPL, says Abedi Pele

Tanzania can’t stop us – Salami vows

By Albert Akota.

Gbolahan Salami, the Warri Wolves goal poacher, has expressed happiness at being invited by the new coach of the senior national team and has promised to deliver if included in the final squad for the encounter in Dar es Salam next month. Salami says he is more than ready to play under coach Sunday Oliseh.

Salami was a prominent figure under former coach Stephen Keshi and scored the opening goal in June’s 2-0 victory over Chad in Kaduna.

He said that playing for the Eagles has always been very exciting and ensuring that the maximum points is secured against the Taifa Stars would be the ideal tonic for the Eagles’ quest to qualify for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations after the team’s failure to play in the 2015 edition held in Equatorial Guinea.

Read more: Tanzania can’t stop us – Salami vows

Korean Embassy denies Nigeria participation in World Martial Arts festival

Nigeria may not participate in the forthcoming World Martial Arts Festival billed to hold in South Korea as the participating teams have been denied visa by the Korean Embassy.

Members of the Federal Capital Territory Combat Sports team comprising Dambe, Kokowa, Kandoshin and kickboxing were yesterday denied Visas by the Embassy.

They were to represent the country at the World Martial Arts Festival in Korea scheduled for 23rd to 29th August 2015.

The Nigerian team claimed that because the Korean Visa officer did not understand the Nigerian combat sports he intentionally failed to issue them the visa.

African Kickboxing Champion Olakunle Awoyele who decried the way they were handled said it was painful that after serious training for the events and interviewed by the Consular it was unfortunate that their documents were not

Only mixed up, they were denied the entry visa thus killing their dreams and wasting all their long term training to storm the world.

Read more: Korean Embassy denies Nigeria participation in World Martial Arts festival

Sakho to play despite arrest

West Ham United’s Senegalese striker Diafra Sakho could play against Leicester City this weekend despite having been arrested on suspicion of assault, manager Slaven Bilic said.

Sakho, 25, is thought to have been arrested last week on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend in east London.

But he played in the team that won 2-0 at Arsenal in West Ham’s opening Premier League fixture last weekend and Bilic suggested he would keep his place against Leicester on Saturday.

Sakho joined West Ham frim French side Metz last year and scored 12 goals in his first season at Upton Park.

Meanwhile, French midfielder Morgan Amalfitano’s future at the club is in serious doubt after Bilic said he was not part of his plans.

The Croatian downplayed press reports of a bust-up between the pair, but confirmed that Amalfitano had been removed from the first-team squad.

Read more: Sakho to play despite arrest

BACKPAGE COLUMN

OPINION

CUISINE

FEATURES

FROM THE PULPIT